Monday, June 30, 2008

Working Hard and Hardly Working

You know when you feel worked, but don't feel like you've accomplished anything? That's how I feel, almost all the time. I know I accomplish things because I get plenty done, I guess having a million things going on at once will do that to you. I started this blog hoping to show myself that I do accomplish things. So far it's working, but they're still slow in coming.

Today I scanned and posted some more photographs on Flickr. The photograph included in this post is one I took before I started scanning photos. See the teddy bear? He's holding a photograph of himself and my grandmother. It amazes me that I have these things. It makes history so much more tangible.

The doll on the left was my grandmother's as well. My grandmother gave me this doll when I was 11 or 12. At the time the doll needed some work done. The composition body needed some repair, the doll had no clothes, and no wig. Grandma took me with her to the doll hospital (one in Hayward, CA) so that I could help decide how I wanted the doll to look. Back then I thought antique dolls should have ringlets of hair. I'm sure the woman at the hospital was trying to talk us out of it - at least she should have been. Grandma gave me what I wanted though. Now that I know more about antique dolls I know this little girl should have very short hair because she's got a baby's body. So, what do I do now? Do I keep her the way my grandmother had her done for me? Or do I redo her myself, restoring her back to what she would have been in the early 20th century? Ugh.

Work on Diane's doll is slow as well. Her body is almost completely patched and I've got her face cleaned. I'll need to search my mohair wigs and see if I have one that will fit her. Otherwise I'll need to either order some mohair and make one, or ordered a finished one. My last issue of Gildebrief had and article on making a corset/stand. I'm going to see if I can't do something along those lines for Diane's doll. Guess that's next after putting her arm back on.

I ordered some stretcher bars from eBay this week so I could get started on the Christmas present I'm working on. The DOW towel transfers and unbleached cotton towels came in last week, so I've been working on those. I know you're reading this, Brad, so I'm not posting photographs of the towels in progress until they are finished. Ha!

No comments: