Thursday, September 6, 2012

Lucy

Lucy's first day with us
Time's up for our old lady poodle.  Tomorrow she's got an appointment at the vet for her very last nap.

Lucy's had a long life, I wish I could say it's been a good long life, but we got her as a rescue 5 1/2 years ago - so I can only say with certainty that the last 5 1/2 years have been good.  Her first 11 years were spent as a puppy mill at some back yard breeder's business.  Did you do the math?  Yes, Lucy is 16 1/2 years old - that's a lot of years for a little dog - even more impressive considering she was a puppy factory.

When we rescued Lucy she was scared and pathetic.  She had like three teeth - one of stuck way out of her head.  Our vet pulled it when I took her for her initial checkup within the first week we had her.  Slowly she became more and more confident in our home and has really blossomed over the last year and a half.

Lately she's been slower, skinnier, unstable on her feet, and just a day or so ago lost her appetite.  I knew when food didn't excite her any longer that it was her time.  I'm not ready - but I never will be.

Besides feeling sorry for myself over my old lady poodle I've been doing a little bit of sewing.  I had put a couple of smaller quilts on my frame right before Isaak hit last week and then wasn't able to work on them when we lost power.  So, with power restored this weekend I got the quilt tops quilted.  I'm now working on binding them.
















Want more happiness to get your mind off my sad story?  Then head over to Cast Iron Stomach where we're hosting a giveaway!

8 comments:

Cherie said...

{{{hugs}}} to all of you. I'm teary-eyed thinking of how tough this must be :'-(

Karen said...

Thanks Cherie :)

Colleen said...

Our pets are always in our hearts no matter how long they were in our lives because of the pure joy and unconditional love they give us. My prayers are with you as you go through a tough time tomorrow.

Brad Michaelis said...

I'm so sorry Karen. This story makes my cry. Lucy was so lucky to find you and Bran and you two have given her a wonderful life these past several years. Now it's time for her to move on. Much love, Brad and Jim

Karen said...

Thanks Colleen and Brad :)

Jim Webb said...

It takes character to be loving and responsible pet owners and I believe humans who respect animals are blessed with a little extra love from above.

Thank you, Brad, for including me in your comments. I'm having problems getting online and I might not have been able to reply myself.

I'm glad I will remember her from our visit.

And now you hav

smazoochie said...

Bless your hearts.
We had to make That Appointment this past year ourselves. Our dear, elderly Audrey told us it was her time. Like you, we only knew of her last years (about 6.5) as she showed up as a stray. Also like you, we know her last years were very good ones.

Karen said...

Smazoochie - It's a comfort, I think, to know that at least they're winter years were good. :)