Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Saintpaulia-cide

Let me distract you with some pretty pictures of one of my African Violets before I tell you about how I think I may have killed two this afternoon.
Last year I bought an African Violet from one of my favorite big box hardware stores.  In the last year, as it matured, I discovered it was actually two plants.  After re-potting a root bound violet this afternoon I thought I would take the chance, while I had my planting stuff out, to separate the two plants and re-pot them.

I've re-potted plenty of African Violets in my time, so I'm not sure what I did.  Maybe I was over thinking having to try to separate the two plants?  Whatever it was I ended up losing the entire root ball for both.  Eeek!  So, I dipped both plant's necks in rooting hormone and potted them in a fresh pot.  African Violets are surprisingly resilient, but I think my life saving attempts may not be enough.  Is there CPR for plants?

No comments: