Thursday, June 25, 2009

Mixtape Quilt(s)

I very recently bought a quilt pattern from Oh, Fransson called Mixtape Quilts. She also held the Mod-Sampler quilt along that I participated in earlier this year. The Mod-Sampler quilt is yet to be finished. I made the mistake of leaving the quilt top out on Mother's day when my in-laws came over. My mother-in-law loved the quilt, and then said "I have this sheet". (I pieced the Mod-Sampler quilt with vintage sheets). Well actually my sister-in-law now has the sheet. My mother-in-law offered it to me as a backing to the quilt, which I think will look nice if the sheet is in good enough condition. But, it's been actively used for 20 years or so...so, I'm a little scared. Anywhoo, I thought I'd put off finishing the quilt until I got the sheet so that I could make a decision. However, if I don't have that sheet in the next month I'm going to go ahead and back it with the sheet I already purchased.

OK, back to the Mixtape Quilt. I cut and pieced this yesterday. Yeah, yesterday. This is half the quilt, all that would fit on my dining room table so that I could look and the block/color placement. I think it's random enough that I'm going to go ahead and put the quilt top together without looking at all the blocks together. Of course I'll lay out the other half of the quilt and take a picture of it as well. This quilt is pieced mostly with vintage sheets. I love the funkiness of the prints. Actually the fat quarters I purchased were marked as vintage/upcycled sheets - but some of the fabrics are suspect. As in I suspect some of them may have been cheap, dollar a yard, fabrics from Wal-Mart. But, if they hold up to washings then fine, I don't care because they all look adorable.

I have also pieced the blocks for a second Mixtape Quilt. But, that one's a secret...for now.

No comments: